Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What is Fundación del Estado para el Sistema Nacional de Orquestas Juveniles e Infantiles de Venezuela?

I am at home here in Venezuela. I am sure to be seen as this nosy guy from the United States only desiring to bring back what has been learned through the work of Jose Abreu and the Fundación del Estado para el Sistema Nacional de Orquestas Juveniles e Infantiles de Venezuela (El Sistema). So, what have I learned so far?

In the 60 Minute documentary we met Rafael Elster, director of the Sarria Nuclei. If you remember, Sarria is one of the poorest barrios (slums) in Caracas. Rafael has such passion for the mission of El Sistema as we saw in his conversation with Moray Saver. Rafael is the same in person as on camera. When we met, I told him I was from Philadelphia and he immediately referred to a group who came from a large US city school district to find out how to create the same El Sistema in their city.
“We have 200,000 students”! said the officials from the US “Do you?” said Rafael. He went on to explain, “You don’t just have a bunch of students to make a program like El Sistema.” All of the men I spoke to in the El Sistema offices were very clear on that point. It is all about personal relationships. Teacher and student alike reciprocate these relationships. Angel Larcas, Deputy Management Director of Nuclei said that both feed on each other. The teacher gets much from the process just as the student. There is no expectation to be great musicians but the idea is to help children grow up as good citizens. The great musician is but a by-product.

El Sistema means system but it is unlike any system we know in the US. El Sistema breathes, sings, dances, ebbs and flows. It is one big relationship intertwining with all who are part of the system. Since my sabbatical entails my study of El Sistema I thought if I didn’t come to Venezuela for a number of reasons, I could go to other US cities attempting El Sistema and catch on there. Boy, was I wrong!

El Sistema is all the beautiful things of Venezuela, the PEOPLE! I have yet to meet any Venezuelan I didn’t love.

If you know the right people and I do, you can go to were ever you wish. Today I met Maestro Jose Abreu, the founder of El Sistema. Belmary took me to his office and he has invited me to return when he has more time. Even with a bad cold, I thought I was meeting someone like Mother Teresa. What I mean by that is that he was remarkably humble and most gracious. His smile was disarming and why he has not won the Nobel Peace Prize, I will never understand.

Later we ran into the Director of the Simon Bolivar Conservatory. He decided on the spot that I was to give a recital and made provisions with one of the top pianist in Caracas, Surge Pilenkofv.

When I figure out how to put pictures in this Blog, I will start posting them.

Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment